What constitutes "soup weather"? For us, it's usually a rainy, or at least overcast day. Soups are amazingly easy to prepare and make for a great, easy meal. They are also very versatile and can be as light, or as hardy as you would like them to be. Whether you prefer a thicker soup or a more brothy soup, whether you like vegetables or meat. The possibilities are endless.
One of our absolute favorites is German Potato Soup. There are endless recipes out there, and every family recipe will differ. I follow my Mama's recipe, and it's a staple at our house. Even my husband, who insists on a meat dish daily, is very happy for a German Potato Soup day! It's a very hearty and thick soup, and we typically also pair it with our authentic Bavarian Pancakes.
Pancakes, you say? Yes! They are a savory side dish, served often alongside soups, or sometimes as a desert option, paired with yogurth, sour cream, jam or apple sauce. More on the pancakes in a separate post.
This is all about the soup!
- 1 cup cubed bacon
- 1 onion
- 5 midsize to large potatoes
- 6 cups of broth
- dehydrated potatoes or corn meal for thickening
- 1/4 cup full fat cream
Add-Ons: add vegetables to your liking. I love adding whatever I may have available, either fresh from the garden or vegetables which simply need to be used before they turn. I also love to add eggs, which results in yummy egg drops and sometimes add meat to this soup.
1) Add lard to your stock pot
2) We start with bacon cubes and add diced onions, which already smells heavenly!
3) As the onions caramelize, we then add the cubed potatoes. You can us the potatoes peeled or leave the peel on, depending on your preference.
4) Cook on low heat for about 15 minutes
5) add your broth or stock
6) let simmer for another 10 minutes
7) add any add-ons, such as eggs, vegetables, etc., bring to a final boil and simmer for another 5-8 minutes. I typically stick to the lower end, in order to maintain the structure of the vegetables I add.
8) last add your thickener and a bit of cream
To serve, we like to top with fresh pancakes, fried onions or fried bacon.
This makes an amazing dish for your family for a cold or rainy day! I hope you'll give it a try!